Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tube Shoot-out: Genalex and JJ Tesla. The Final Verdict

Now that the Genalex have resided in my system for a couple of weeks and have plenty of burn-in time, I decided to revisit their performance and sound vs. the JJ Tesla. The main set of tracks used for today's listening is from Bebe's album Y., with which I have spent considerable time in the last week or so, and in particular this morning as I prepared for my previous Playlist Update! post.

Reading back over my previous Tube Shoot-out posting, my impressions are still more or less on-target, but I have a few final observations. The Genalex does "unstick" the music from the speakers a bit more than the JJ Teslas, push the soundstage back by comparison, and also - unlike my last posting - I feel the Genalex does perhaps widen the soundstage a smidgen. Sticking the JJ tubes back in the circuit yields a more exciting, up-front presentation with much more coherent PRAT, which to this listener is of first importance.  By PRAT, I mean "Pacing, Rhythm, and Timing", and manifests as better bass timing, probably due to their faster, or more nimble, bass response. Dynamically, the JJ tubes shine head and shoulders above the Genalex in this system. Harmonic content with the JJ's is slightly leaner than with the Genalex's, but in retrospect I feel that the Genalex are on the lush side, so the net effect is that the JJ's restore harmonics to a better balance to my ears. To sum up - with the Genalex, I am listening attentively to the music and enjoying various audiophile aspects of the sound. With the JJ Tesla's, I am off the couch, dancing and smiling. Can you guess which one wins?

I can easily imagine how one audiophile, who values the nth-degree of detail from his or her system and/or a lusher, more laid-back presentation, would prefer the Genalex, which is a fine tube. My brand of audiophile might have a different opinion. To each, their own!

1 comment:

  1. Great comments. I'm in the midst of a tube shoot out my self with those very brands and types as well as the 12AX7 versions. My preamps in various systems are: ARC SP 16 (6 x 12AX7)< Audibille Illusions Mod 3A (4 6922) and Counterpoint SA-1000 (2x12AX7 phono, 1 X 6922 Line).
    I've found that the JJ 12AX7 in the ARC sound best over Genalex for my tastes. The JJ's were faster more open and great balance over all. The Genalex were bigger and the bass seemed to mask what was happening up on top. In the Counterpoint I preferred the Genalex in the phono stage (12AX7) in that particular system. I also tried Svetlana,Tung Sol,EH, and Sovtek LPS which were all good but different.
    As for the 6922' the AT preamp is very hard on tubes and it seems that the best new production tube that works is the EH6922. I'm afraid to see what would happen with a Genalex there! I have some on order from Jim McShane to try in the Counterpoint line stage. I like the JJ in there, so it will be interesting to see what happens. They arrive tomorrow. All systems that the preamps are in are different, speakers,amps, cables, rooms, etc. Synergy is key with tubes as well. Thanks for the in depth review.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete